Tuesday, June 17, 2008

{ finders keepers: the matchbox project }


matchbox6

I've always had a thing for matchboxes and have quite a collection of them saved from our travels and our occasional nights out on the town–tiny boxes of cherished memories saved for future recollection. Imagine though, if you found a matchbox and discovered that, instead of matches, a special surprise was awaiting you. 

matchbox

Flower seeds, a tiny sewing kit, water balloons, a rainy day song list, and birthday candles...these are just some of the many gems that have been gifted to unsuspecting bus riders, cafe patrons, university students, even a photocopier user since The Matchbook Project was launched just over a year ago in Sydney Australia. Each week, a creatively embellished matchbox with a tiny present hidden inside is "left by a girl" (or one of her creative recruits) somewhere in her travels throughout Sydney--ready and waiting to be discovered by a lucky stranger. 

There are three simple rules to the project:
1. Don't get caught leaving a matchbox. 
2. Don't leave two in the same place.
3. No spying on it. (I would have such a hard time resisting the urge to do this). 

closeupshoegirls

The creative talent behind the project explains, this project is about "randomness, silly things in unexpected places, curiosity, chance and ultimately, an attempt to make (someone) smile."  

mbpic

I, for one, would be grinning ear to ear if I were to happen upon one of these little treasures. You can follow the chronicles of these random acts of {creative} kindness, by visiting The Matchbook Project blog. I found it to be quite inspiring--imagine the fun you could have creating one of your own to anonymously surprise a special someone.

Have any of my Australian readers found one of these little surprises or do you know of someone who has? I'd love to hear about it.

via the bandelle blog

11 comments:

Cindy said...

i love the idea!

Anonymous said...

This project is incredible. It would honestly bring a smile to my day if I found a matchbox.

Thanks for the mention :) Great blog, by the way...

Kylie

Art Kitten said...

oh how wonderful! I love small things like this, I actually have a best friend who I used to exchange matchboxes with little treasures inside. He and I would put little secret messages and bizarre trinkets in them for each other. I am now inspired to send him one (he loves in Philly now).

Art Kitten said...

oops I mean lives (but he loves it too)

Robin said...

What a great idea, wish I thought of it ... but I might be inspired to copy it. I agree, it would be hard not to spy on it to see the reaction of the recipient.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! Its the tinyest thing that will make a persons day so much better :-)And the matchboxes are sooo cute!

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Oh wow....this is the sweetest idea ever! I love this and need to set about making my own! What a lovely thing to do and I sure wish I could find one!
xo
Melissa

littlebyrd said...

Ohh - I love this story! I also have collected matchbooks through the years...Are you having trouble finding them these days? I am. Sadly it seems like no one (hotels, restuarants) are doing it anymore.
I like the idea of this project but I would definitley have to spy!!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

great idea! I wish I could find one :)

Fifi Flowers said...

VERY COOL PROJECT!

Anastasia said...

what a great idea...ive never heard of it! i'll have to look into it as Id love to play along...its so great to find things and these would put a smile on anyones face!
there is also a Flickr group with a similar concept...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin