Thursday, November 6, 2008

{ the one day/$0 home office makeover }

Do you remember that little project I spoke of last week? I thought it only fair to share it with you all. What prompted this midweek emergency "to do"??? The complete lack of organization in my home office. It had reached an all-time low...piles everywhere, zero desk space...a complete mish-mash of "stuff". I simply couldn't stand it one. more. minute. 


1 day/$0 office makeover by you.

the before {gasp!}

With little time, and zero budget, I opted for a 1 day/$0 makeover--repurposing items I already had on hand to create a more livable and lively work space. 

P1010023
Once I cleared the clutter, I focused on sprucing up the walls, which were in serious need of some love. 

P1010024
I dusted off my vintage inspired maps from Cavallini that have been waiting for frames for longer than I can remember. I used the maps to cover some rather ordinary bulletin boards--easy peasy and I love that I can post and easily change out special photos, mementos, and other cherished notions. 

P1010014_1
I had previously found a vintage water color painting at a shop in San Francisco, which I hung with binder clips until I'm able to find a suitable frame for it.

officecloseup by you.
Knick knacks and office supplies were corralled using a vintage tray and pieces from a vintage canister set I brought home from the Paris flea market. 

P1010022 by you.
I organized bills and paperwork with colorful clips I had previously purchased from Ikea...red = urgent, white = paid and to be filed, etc. Paperwork and files which I need to save, but don't need immediate access to, are filed and kept out of view in the armoire next to my desk. 

1 day/$0 office makeover by you.
Fresh {and free} flowers from my garden, a vintage carafe I snagged at a flea market, and gorgeous photo prints from Mrs. French's new shop add additional splashes of color to my new favorite space. 

officecorner by you.
What a relief to have this project behind me...I can't tell you how much happier I am working in my tidy little corner office.

I'll be back tomorrow {Friday} afternoon with a very special post--you're going to love it!

21 comments:

Carrie Nicole said...

oh my dear, would you be so kind as to come make over my office too? pretty please?!?

it's a project i've been working on for way too long, my office turned into the "junk drawer' and i've yet to be able to dig out of it completely. i'm way too embarassed to show before pictures!

i just hope i can doll mine up and organize as well as you have done. what a fantastic idea to put the maps on the cork boards...really really great idea! i bet it feels SO much better now in that space, even just looking at it.

Mrs.French said...

Yay! I am now sitting at my workspace shuttering...yours is laughing at mine...seriously, I need to do something! Oh and my photo looks pretty in your office..xo me

Cindy said...

it looks gorgeous suzanne! i love that it was no cost and all of the vintage touches. the bulletin boards look great and i like your use of the different colored clips. the watercolor painting is calling out to me - i love it.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Do you know about Fleuri's Paris Flea Market, that's coming up on November 16th? I'm so excited about it!!!

Melissa de la Fuente said...

So, so lovely! I just love that you did such a wonderful
job and all for $0! That is my favorite kind of makeover! :) I cannot wait for tomorrow's "Your place or mine" YAY!
xo
Melis

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

wow! What a transformation :) Wonderful job...

mayaluna said...

What a dramatic make-over for nothing... but your own time and ingenuity! Great idea with the bulletin boards. You happen to have some lovely vintage goodies to pull from. I love that carafe. Beautiful job... you've got me looking around my house (in my mind) searching for some new ways to organize. Thanks for the shot of inspiration!o

Vana said...

You should have seen my workspace today...I just couldn't deal with it anymore, so i didn't! It's starring at me right now, pretty ugly. But tomorrow is a new day, right?

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me to work on my office a lot more. I love the vintage inspired tray and canisters. So cute!

ADOREDVINTAGE said...

Oh my goodness this looks so beautiful, and all in one day! You have definitely inspired me to do the same for my office!

Julia said...

I'm so impressed! You did an outstanding job with your zero money overhaul! I'm trying to think of what I'll try my hand at this weekend, I'm inspired by you :)

Jill said...

wow...your office looks great! i love the fact that you used only things you already had. really creative...and important in these times! i will be hanging my mrs. french prints in my studio/office soon too!

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

Thanks everyone...I truly appreciate your comments and feedback. Of course, we all have our "if money were no object" dream spaces. But I must admit to taking pleasure in doing more with less and I find that budget restrictions often inspire much of my creativity with home projects. I'm thrilled I was able to inspire you to take on some of your own projects--I'd love for you to share your results with me.

blue moss said...

your tidy little corner is so fabulous....maybe it will inspire me to clean up mine.......maybe :)

Anonymous said...

such a pretty desk!!

Melissa said...

So lovely! I'm actually cleaning my office as I type....well, I'm supposed to be cleaning...I clean and then by the end of the week I have piles again....it's a never ending cycle....

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

My home office really needs a makeover in the most dire way. Thanks for the inspiration! Can I ask what that green color is that you have on your walls?

Lydia said...

I now feel inspired to tackle my own messy desk! Hello from a neighbor over in Grass Valley!

Lovely Little Nest said...

It's really beautiful! You did such a great job :)

Affordable Furniture said...

A clear and organized office is necessary if I have to do any work at all. I'm naturally messy and usually don't like to clean, so I can nothing but admire what you've accomplished!

Professional Business Solutions said...

The space you have there is truly classy! Who would have though that one can do a quick transformation in an office using old stuff and cheap items! :) Good job!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin