Friday, October 17, 2008

{ my place or yours... }

Happy Friday everyone...we made it!


Going away for the weekend by liebemarlene.
image via flickr fave, liebemarlene--

I don't know about you, but I love to explore a new city through the eyes of a local. Sure, I will hit some of the touristy spots. But, when I have the opportunity to visit a city, I like to become fully engrossed in it and live like the locals do...even if it's just for a couple of days. With that in mind, I will be kicking off a new feature on S.HOPtalk today titled: 
My Place or Yours. 

Each week, I will invite my favorite bloggers and artists to share with us a bit about themselves and the place they call home--a behind the scenes sneak peek, if you will, at the many amazing cities and small towns scattered around the world as seen through the eyes of those who inspire us. 

Outdoor details by Chez Larsson.

Our first adventure takes us to beautiful Stockholm, Sweden, where you will find the home of the uber talented blogger, Benita Larsson. Benita's popular blog, Chez Larsson, provides me with oodles and oodles of daily design and home keeping inspiration. She has the greatest ideas like this one and this one. Let's get started, shall we.... 

Please tell us a little about yourself. 
I'm a visual merchandiser in Sweden in my early forties. I've lived in Stockholm since I was a little girl. I have just very recently decided to cut down a bit on my day job to pursue some of the other intrests in my life. So exciting!

Wellie season by Chez Larsson.


Three words that best describe Stockholm for you:
Home, clean, beautiful.

My main means of transportation by Chez Larsson.
benita's main means of transportation { i love that!}

What is your favorite time of day?
Saturday mornings before Martin and Wille wake up. It's that little moment all to myself with a cup of tea and a magazine.

Kanelbullens dag! by Chez Larsson.

Currently on your radar...
Getting started on a book proposal. I was supposed to get it done or at least started this weekend but renovating a window before it gets too cold got in the way... I'm also getting excited about the upcoming holiday season. {Editor's note: I'm excited about a book by Benita!}

Book cover how-to by Chez Larsson.

What is your most cherished spot in your home?
The armchair in front of the bookshelf where my magazines are kept. It's the place where I relax after rushing around all day.

009

Favorite discovery:
That I can write. I never thought of myself as a writer but apparently others enjoy my musings. Amazing!

Where do you go to escape?
I don't. My absolute favourite place is at home. I think I was born to be a home maker but living in Sweden, where that is almost frowned upon, it was not to be. I'm working on finding a good balance so I can stay at home more but at the same time earn an income doing so.

New color scheme by Chez Larsson.

Who is/are your favorite local artist(s)? And why?
I love
Ingegerd Råman. I keep seeing these beautiful simple items and it always turns out she designed them.

Where do you find inspiration?
Flickr is such a great source of inspiration. So are my favourite blogs. I've recently started to subscribe to my blog favourites in a reader and it's such an injection of inspiration to log on to
bloglovin'/bloggkoll and have your faves served to you on a platter. I also get super inspired by my favourite books and magazines

What is/are your favorite local shop(s)?
I'm biased here... I love
Lin o Fin. It's my friend Sanna's mom's shop at Söder in Stockholm. She sells Swedish and international design at it's best. 

002_12

020_12

012_12_2

I also really like Åhléns a local department store and Asplunds.

Best kept local secret.
Loopen Marina, a hidden away spot below one of Stockholm's many bridges. A place to eat, drink and be merry :)

Loopen Marina by bisonblog.
image via flickr fave, blisonblog

Tell us about your favorite spot to linger over lunch.
The
Stockholm City Museum. It's a museum about Stockholm. The admission to the museum is free and there is a great café inside. 



You can have lunch and take a mini tour of the museum all within your lunch hour.

Interör från Kafé Ryssgården
{museum images via the Stockholm City Museum }

When visiting Stockholm, don't miss:
Centralbadet is a swimming pool and spa in the very city center. It was built in 1904 and the exterior and interior including the pool is in the Art Nouveau style. Absolutetly stunning. The little parc outside is perfect for breakfast or lunch next to the koi pond.

Centralbadet in Stockholm by Esthr.
image via flickr, esthr

If you had an opportunity to live anywhere else in the world, where would we find you?
I have no idea, but I wouldn't mind moving at all. I can see myself living in all kinds of places, a mews house in London England, a shingled house in New England USA, a cottage in Provance France, a small white house on a Greek isle, a mini farm in Tuscany Italy or just simply a house in the countryside further down south in Sweden.


















What's your motto?
"What's wrong with now?" I've been married for 18 years to a big time procrastinator and I still don't get the idea of pushing things forward until the very last minute. {Editor's note: Oh, I would drive you crazy Benita! :) }

Thank you so much for joining us Benita and taking us on a tour of your beautiful city and home.

Quick links:
Chez Larsson blog
Benita's fabulous flickr stream

And thank you all for spending some time here with me this week and joining me today for My Place or Yours. Stay tuned...I have more exciting excursions planned for the next couple of weeks. One of these days, I just might be knocking on your door {you've been warned }.

All images courtesy of Benita Larsson unless otherwise noted.

18 comments:

Cindy said...

i love this new feature and benita's interview. her style is so fresh, organized and warm. thanks ladies!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT feature! The feature title is oh so clever. My first trip to Stockholm, and it didn't cost me a cent.

Tissy

Solange said...

very nice interview and lots of new inspiration, thank you. I haven't visited stockholm yet, maybe an idea?

have a good weekend,

Solange

Kasey said...

great idea Suzanne! I just realized i don't think i have you on my favs list, and am adding you now:}
sorry so late.
k-

mayaluna said...

Great new feature and what a wonderful way to start. Benita's been in my blogroll from day one and this was one the most insightful posts about her and her life that I've read. So well done! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my blog! I loved to read about Stockholm, it´s a wonderful city and so nice to "see" it through the eyes of someone who lives there. Thanks Ü

simply seleta said...

What a great post! Love it! I've never met anyone from Stockholm, so this was very interesting

Anonymous said...

Great new feature, love the photos!

karey m. said...

i love this feature so much, i could take it to dinner. and out for drinks after.

you're a smarty.

Katie Runnels said...

what an incredible interview and feature idea! Thanks for sharing-I just popped over to Chez Larsson and I can tell I've got a lot of catching up to do-she's splendid!! thanks! xoxo

paula said...

this feature is amazing. benita's home is so fresh, i love it. can't wait to see more.

Melissa de la Fuente said...

OMG. Suzanne! You are a genius my dear! I ADORE this new feature and had so much fun learning more about the lovely Benita. What a beautiful place she lives in and a wonderful home....Thank you for this, and thank you Benita! Another fabulous thing to look forward to for Friday! YAY!
xoxo
Melissa

ThePeachTree said...

We do the same thing! It looks like you had an amazing time!

jae said...

I'm new here, but have to say I really enjoyed this post. I've been reading Benita's blog for awhile now and always enjoy her refreshing style.

dee said...

OMG what a great concept! These photos are gorgeous, too, my gosh. Nicely done;)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful place to live...so beautiful!

MA said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Love this idea...travelling while sifting at the computer. Thanks...also loved Mrs.French's and Julia's post - love those gals, they are so nice!

Vana said...

I found you via Red Otter and I am loving your blog. What neat ideas you have. I will make sure to bookmark you and check you daily:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin