Wednesday, June 17, 2009

{ a new love }

My creation
for image credit, click here

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, my parents handed down one of their old** radios to me. It was brown and cream and crackled each time I turned its huge plastic knobs--an unforgettable sound. I recall the instant sense of independence I felt hanging out in my room and being able to listen to my choice of radio stations and songs. Perhaps that's why I felt so nostalgic at our local antique fair the other day upon noticing these charming little radios that seemingly popped up everywhere--I was instantly smitten. I'm now on a mission to find one at a yard sale or thrift shop this summer--pink or turquoise please.

P.S. I did manage to find this little treasure to take home. It's official: I cannot pass up well priced, turquoise pyrex bowls.

{Turquoise} pyrex love

**mom...perhaps you remember the make & model???

10 comments:

Cindy said...

i love the radios and the pyrex dish is wonderful. good size.

Prairie Girl Studio said...

"crackled each time I turned its huge plastic knobs" ~ you have certainly stirred some memories here suzanne ... these vintage beauties beam with character ... fingers doubled crossed that your perfect pink or turquoise radio finds its way to you soon!
prairiegirl

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

I love these old radios - and I promise if I see one during my flea market or yard sale jaunts in pink or turqouise, I'm picking it up for you! Seriously, how cool would that be to have one of these?

By the way, I'm so humbled after seeing my little Reverie under your favs - Merci Beaucoup!

Anonymous said...

That's a new pattern to me...very unique. I might just have to research it. LOVE IT!

Tissy

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I thought you meant the bowl. The radio was a wedding gift. It was a Telefunken...a very high end German brand. I guess not high end enough to keep from "crackling". Your memory amazes me! Great flashback.

nichole said...

LOL. I love turquoise pyrex too. I was obsessed with hunting it down on etsy a few months ago. Left a really beautiful bowl with a hot air balloon slip right out of my hands.

Wait ... that wasn't YOU was it??!? ;)

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

Tissy: Ah, that's right...Telefunken! The crackling is what I miss most. :)

Nichole: I hate to add salt to the wound, but I own one of the turquoise hot air balloon bowls and love it! :)

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Oh yes..... turquoise or pink please! And that bowl, is beautiful hun!
xo
Melis

Mrs.French said...

I hope you find your radio...actually girly, you deserve at least 3 or 4..xo t

please sir said...

I love old radios too...even if they don't work they are so pretty to look at!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin