Monday, August 25, 2008

{ back-to-cool... }


If you share my love of vintage school supplies, I encourage you to take a field trip over to Uppercase and take a gander at their much anticipated exhibit, Old School, which celebrates the aesthetics of 20th century education through exhibition and curated objects. 

the icing on the cake by uppercaseyyc.

Inspired by vintage school memorabilia including, flash cards, chalk, crayons, science fairs, class photos...you name it...the exhibition includes over 80 works of art by some of my favorite artists.

ambience by uppercaseyyc.

Classroom by uppercaseyyc.

Classic by uppercaseyyc.

I'm inspired to borrow some of the many clever ideas spotted here. I envision a kids' arts and crafts party with an old school twist in my daughter's future...

DSC_7153 by uppercaseyyc.
add pertinent details for cute invitations

goodies by uppercaseyyc.
fun and easy treats

dixie cups by uppercaseyyc.

Old School erasers by uppercaseyyc.
Gather a few favorite school supplies and fill mini lunch boxes or tins (available at the $1 store) to create cute favors.


English Lit by uppercaseyyc.

I must admit, my daughter and I were feeling too cool for school when we saw this typewriter featured in the exhibit. {Good eye Oma and Opa!}

There's so much more to see...grab your permission slips and check out all the artwork featured here. The exhibit is also documented in a commemorative book. If that isn't enough, you can get your school supply fix here.

11 comments:

please sir said...

These are SO great - love everything about it! Also, just put a post up discussing where you live and what you like about it - would love your input!

Kasey said...

wow, love all the treasures!
also, love the typewriter.
k-

Julia said...

There were so many yummy things in your images, I was trying to soak it all up! Holy WOW! I love that typewriter :)

Melissa de la Fuente said...

So great! I love the colors of those desks and that typewriter....and those sundaes with the little wooden spoons sure bring back memories.....
xo
Melissa

simply seleta said...

LOVE this. I just had a flashback of s-l-o-w-l-y sharpening my pencil when I was bored in class. Happened often. Public Mississippi schools are the worst!

blue moss said...

love back to school....and i love vintage school supplies!!! all of this is so great! saw blue moss on "places to go...." thank you, thank you!! :)

Cindy said...

thank you for showing it to us, since we're on the other coast. i love those erasers and totally want one for my collection!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Such a great post...love all the colors! Neat typewriter...remember those?

Jen Ramos
'100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

Katie Runnels said...

Thanks for sharing this! I was so wishing I could attend- and now I feel as though I have! xo

Art Kitten said...

Oh how fun, It is so nice to see school supplies that aren't just plastic with some cartoon character on it. You can't seem to get away from that these days. You should check out the toy catalog company Magic Cabin, I used to be their graphic designer and they have really great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hi, where did you buy the dixie cups and wooden spoons?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin